The Anne Frank Zentrum is the German partner organisation of the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam. The permanent exhibition “Anne Frank. here & now” is located in the heart of Berlin, right next to the Hackesche Höfe. The exhibition connects history and the present. Anne Frank’s life story and her diary are at the heart of this exhibition. Large collages of pictures and selected objects reveal the world of Anne Frank, there are also interviews with her father, her school friend and a helper which you can listen to. Also, visitors see and hear young people from Berlin discussing the same questions which Anne Frank was asking herself 60 years ago.

Educational tours of the exhibition tailored to age and knowledge level are offered to school classes and groups.

Furthermore, various events such as readings, talks with contemporary witnesses, film events as well as seminars and podium discussions are held in the Zentrum. The Anne Frank Zentrum offers an independent tour with the so-called iGuide to interesting places of Jewish significance, both past and present.

The Anne Frank Zentrum is part of a diverse cultural collection of sites located in an historical building, the Haus Schwarzenberg. You will also find next to the Zentrum the Museum Otto Weidt’s Workshop for the Blind and the Silent Heroes Memorial Center.


Anne Frank Zentrum
Rosenthalerstrasse 39
10178 Berlin

Tel.: +49(0)30-28 88 656-00
Fax: +49(0)30-28 88 656-01

E-Mail: zentrum(at)

The institution on google maps

S-Bahn/Tram Hackescher Markt
U-Bahn Weinmeisterstraße

Opening Hours:
Tue-Sun 10am-6pm
The exhibition is wheelchair accessible.

Adults: 5 Euro, Concessions: 2,50 Euro
Families: 10 Euro
Children up to the age of ten: free entry

The exhibition is wheelchair accessible.

After many years of debate, the German Parliament finally decided to build the “Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe” on June 25, 1999. The memorial was built from April 2003 to May 2005 following New York architect Peter Eisenman’s designs, modified by the addition of an underground Information Centre (Ort der Information). It is located right in the middle of Berlin, in close proximity to the Brandenburger Tor and the Reichstag building.

The memorial designed by Eisenman, made up of 2,711 concrete slabs, or “stelae”, of varying heights, is an illustration of the critical analysis surrounding the conventional concept of memorials; it attempts to “develop a new idea of remembrance”. As Eisenman says, amidst the Field of Stelae there is “no goal, no end, no way in or out”.

The underground Information Centre is designed to be an informational supplement to the abstract form of remembrance conveyed by the memorial. Four rooms, arranged thematically, provide information about the victims to be honoured and the historical memorial spaces. In order to personalise the remembrance, exemplary histories of families destroyed due to the Holocaust are displayed, amongst other things; in the Room of Names, there are also the readings of short biographies of those Jews who were murdered or presumed dead.

In its decision, the Parliament said that Germany wants to honour the six million Jews who were murdered by the National Socialists with this memorial, while also keeping the memory of an unimaginable part of German history alive. The Foundation for the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe also oversees the Memorial to the Homosexuals Persecuted under the National Socialist Regime and the Memorial to the Sinti and Roma Murdered under the National Socialist Regime. The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe is furthermore responsible, in cooperation (jointly with) with the Topography of Terror, for both the implementation and supervision of the Memorial and Information Point for the Victims of National Socialist ‚Euthanasia‘ Killings at the operational headquarters, Tiergartenstraße 4 in Berlin.

Individual visitors can take part in a public tour or discover the Information Centre through the use of an audio guide. Visiting groups can book more detailed tours or workshops with visitor services.


Denkmal für die ermordeten Juden Europas (Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe)
Cora-Berliner-Straße 1
10117 Berlin

Tel.: +49(0)30-26 39 43-36 (Visitor Service)

E-Mail: besucherservice(at)

The institution on google maps

S-Bahn S1, S2 or S26 to Brandenburger Tor or Potsdamer Platz
U-Bahn U2 to Potsdamer Platz und Mohrenstraße
Bus 100, TXL, Unter den Linden
Bus 200, Behren-/Wilhelmstraße or Potsdamer Platz
Bus M 41, M 48, Potsdamer Platz
Bus M 85, Ebertstraße

Opening Hours:
The Field of Stelae: open 24 hours, daily

Information Centre: April to September Tues-Sun 10-8pm (last entry 7:15pm). October to March Tues-Sun 10-7pm (last entry 6:15pm). Closed: January 1st and December 24th to 26th and December 31st.

Free Entry

The German-Russian Museum is a unique bilateral institution. It is located at the historical site of the unconditional surrender of the German armed forces (Wehrmacht) on May 8, 1945. With the act of ratification of the surrender document in Karlshorst, World War II came to an end in Europe. Until 1949, the Wehrmacht pioneer school’s former officers casino served as the headquarters of the Soviet Military Administration in Germany. It was here that in 1949, the Soviets handed over administrative authority to the first government of the German Democratic Republic (GDR). From 1967 to 1994, the building contained a branch of the “Central Museum of Armed Forces Moscow” featuring the unconditional surrender of fascist Germany in the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945.

In 1991, as a symbol of their new collaboration, the Federal Republic of Germany and the Russian Federation decided to jointly found a museum at this historical location, depicting the history of German-Soviet relations from 1917 to 1990. The focus is on the war of extermination against the Soviet Union from 1941 to 1945.

Alongside the historical spaces and the permanent exhibition, the museum regularly shows special exhibitions. Central themes are the remembrance of the war, issues regarding German-Russian relations and the museum has developed a particular amphasis on war photography. The museum’s work is dedicated to fostering a closer relationship and better understanding between the two countries.

You can register for free tours in German, Russian, English, Polish or Spanish for groups of 10 to 30 people.


Deutsch-Russisches Museum Berlin-Karlshorst (German-Russian Museum Berlin-Karlshorst)
Zwieseler Straße 4 (cross street Rheinsteinstraße)
10318 Berlin-Karlshorst

Tel.: +49-30-50 15 08-10
Fax: +49-30-50 15 08-40

E-Mail: kontakt(at)

The institution on google maps

S-Bahn (rapid transit system): S3 to Karlshorst, then Bus 296
U-Bahn (subway): U5 to Tierpark, then Bus 296
Parking available

Opening Hours:
Tues-Sun 10-6pm

Free entry

Free tour open to everyone every Sunday at 3pm

The last well-preserved former Nazi forced labour camp is located in Schöneweide. In the Second World War it served as one of the more than 3000 collective accommodations dispersed throughout the city for forced labourers.

The camp was erected in the middle of a residential area at the end of 1943 by the »General Building Inspector for the Reich Capital« (GBI), under the direction of Albert Speer. The 3.3 hectare grounds contained 13 stone housing barracks and a central administration building.

Here were housed male and female civilian forced labourers from different countries, Italian Military internees as well as female concentration camp prisoners.

The Documentation Centre on Nazi Forced Labour opened in the summer of 2006 on a part of historical grounds that once belonged to the camp and which are today protected as a monument. Since August 2010 the well preserved »Barrack 13« is open to the public during guided tours. It is the best preserved of all the housing barracks. In addition to its many original building details, several of the barrack’s cellar walls bear inscriptions from Italian forced labourers.

Since May 2013 the new permanent exhibition »Forced Labour in the Daily Round 1938-1945« is telling about the history of Nazi Forced Labour as an everyday phenomenon. An Audioguide in different languages is guiding through the exhibition, the camp ground and the neighbourhood.

The Nazi Forced Labor Documentation Center, a department of the Topography of Terror Foundation, is continually offering public lectures and an educational program such as guided tours, workshops and Seminars.


Dokumentationszentrum NS-Zwangsarbeit Berlin-Schöneweide (Berlin-Schöneweide Nazi Forced Labor Documentation Center)
Britzer Straße 5
12439 Berlin

Tel.: +49(0)30-63 90 28-80
Fax: +49(0)30-63 90 28-82 9

E-Mail: schoeneweide(at)

The institution on google maps

S45, S46, S47, S8, S85, S9 to Schöneweide Station (about a ten minute walk)
Bus: 160, 167 (Britzer Straße station)

Opening Hours:
Tues-Sun 10-6pm

Free Entry

Tours, seminars and workshops for school classes and adults upon request
Free tour open to everyone every first Sunday a month at 3pm

House of the Wannsee-Conference, (c) Photo

On January 20, 1942, high-ranking members of the SS, the police force, the government administration and the National Socialist German Workers’ Party (the NSDAP or Nazi party) met to discuss the “final solution of the Jewish question” in the Villa Minoux on the Greater Wannsee, the guesthouse of the Security Police and the Security Service SD. Since 1992, the memorial and educational site has had a permanent exhibition in the Wannsee Conference’s historical rooms, with a specialised library and a sophisticated set of pedagogical tools at the visitor’s disposal: tours of the exhibition accompanied by discussions, small group work in the exhibition rooms and the library, seminars held for one or more days.

The exhibition and library are open to individual visitors; groups must register in advance, especially if they would like to take advantage of the educational opportunities which are offered here. The speakers and the groups’ supervisors will discuss in advance and in detail which topics they would like to discuss, the inclusion of any previous knowledge or questions held by the group as well as what pedagogical direction or methodology should be used. The site’s target groups are students from all kinds of schools, young people doing their job training, adults doing further occupational or political education as well as multiplicators. The memorial site has developed study days which are specifically geared to members of particular occupations. These seminars deal with how representatives of those very occupations positioned themselves in relation to the crimes of National Socialists.

The educational offering is free for students. People who are employed are asked to contribute two euros. Tours and seminars can be held in many European languages as well as in Hebrew.


Gedenk- und Bildungsstätte (Memorial and Educational Site)
Haus der Wannsee-Konferenz (Wannsee House Conference)
Am Großen Wannsee 56-58
14109 Berlin-Zehlendorf

Tel.: +49(0)30-80 50 01-0
Fax: +49(0)30-80 50 01-27

E-Mail: secretariat(at)

The institution on google maps

Take the S-Bahn and the regional train to the Wannsee train station, then Bus 114 to Haus der Wannsee-Konferenz

Opening Hours:
Permanent exhibition: “The Wannsee Conference and the Genocide of the European Jews”
daily 10-6pm, other than on public holidays.
Library: Mon-Fri 10-6pm

Free entry (a donation of two euros is requested)

The German Resistance Memorial Center is located at 13–14 Stauffenbergstraße, on the historical site of the attempted coup of July 20, 1944, at the former Army High Command. Since 1953, the commemorative courtyard had been a site of remem-brance for resistance to National Socialism.

The permanent exhibition »Resistance against National Socialism« on the second floor documents the entire social breadth and ideological diver-sity of the struggle against the Nazi dictatorship in 18 sections. Special exhibitions and a varied program of events and publi-cations are devoted to individual subjects in more depth. The German Resistance Memorial Center is a site of remembrance, political studies, active learning, documentation, and research. The center’s goal is to show how individual persons and groups took action against the National Socialist dictatorship from 1933 to 1945 and made use of what freedom of action they had

  • Permanent exhibition »Resistance against National Socialism«
  • Special exhibition


Gedenkstätte Deutscher Widerstand (German Resistance Memorial Center)
Stauffenbergstraße 13-14
10785 Berlin

Tel.: +49(0)30-26 99 50-00
Fax: +49(0)30-26 99 50-10

E-Mail: info(at)

The institution on google maps

Subway station (U-Bahn): Kurfürstenstraße (10 min. walk)
Subway/Rapid Transit station (U-/S-Bahnhof): Potsdamer Platz (10 min. walk)
Bus: M 29, stop at: Gedenkstätte Deutscher Widerstand (German Resistance Memorial Center)

Opening Hours:
Mon-Wed, Fri 9-6pm, Thurs 9-8pm, Sat, Sun and holidays 10-6pm
Closed on the 23rd, 24th, 25th, 26th and 31st of December and on January 1st.

Free Entry

Free guided tours for groups of 10 and more persons in German, English, French or Italian, by arrangement (please register six weeks in advance).

Free audio guide in seven languages

Free German Sign Language guide

The Plötzensee Memorial Center commemorating the victims of National Socialism is a European site of quiet remembrance. From 1933 to 1945, nearly three thousand people unjustly sentenced to death by the National Socialist judiciary were executed here. They included more than 1,400 Germans and more than 1,500 other people from over 20 other nations. Today, the execution chamber is a memorial. The exhibition in the room adjoining it documents the practice of the National Socialist judicial and penal system in a permanent exhibition in German and English. A computer terminal presents information on all those murdered in Plötzensee. This documentation is constantly expanded by the German Resistance Memorial Center.

Remembrance room for the German and internional victims of National Socialism.
Permanent exhibition on the National Socialist judicial and penal system.


Gedenkstätte Plötzensee (Plötzensee Memorial Center)
13627 Berlin-Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf

Tel.: +49(0)30-34 43 22-6
oder über die Gedenkstätte Deutscher Widerstand

E-Mail: info(at)

The institution on google mapss

Turmstraße U-Bahn station or Beusselstraße S-Bahn station
then Bus 123 to bus stop „Gedenkstätte Plötzensee“.
The Memorial Center is a five-minute walk from the bus stop.

Or we can be reached through the “Gedenkstätte Deutscher Widerstand” (Memorial to the German Resistance)

Opening Hours:
March to October, daily from 9am-5pm
November to February, daily from 9am-4pm
Closed December 24th-26th and December 31st – January 1st

The site is dedicated to quit remembrance. No tours are held.

Free Entry

commemorates those people who supported persecuted Jews during the Nazi dictatorship. The example set by these helpers–often referred to as „silent heroes“–shows that there was in fact leeway for maneuvering to help people at risk in Nazi Germany and in the German-occupied territories.
The permanent exhibition presents information about the persecution and plight of Jews facing imminent deportation, about how some of them decided to resist the threat to their lives by going underground, and about the actions and motivations of the men and women who helped them.
The exhibition is centered around ten stories. Objects, documents, and photographs in the exhibition illustrate both successful and failed rescue attempts by individuals and networks. The varied relationships between those who helped and those who had made the conscious decision to defy the Nazi policies of deportations and murder are presented.
Silent Heroes Memorial Center
part of the German Resistance Memorial Center Foundation
Stauffenbergstraße 13-14
10785 Berlin
Tel.: +49(0)30-26 39 23 – 822
Tel.: +49(0)30-26 99 50 – 20
Fax: +49(0)30-26 99 50 – 10
The institution on google maps
Opening Hours:
Mondays to Wednesdays, and Fridays: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Thursdays: 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Closed: December 24-26, New Year’s Eve, and New Year’s Day
Free entry

On April 21, 1945 with the approach of the Red Army, the SS forced 30,000 prisoners from the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp, among them women and children, to walk northwest on a death march. For most of them, the march ended with their liberation between the 3rd and 6th of May 1945 around the Parchim, Ludwigslust, Schwerin area. However, hundreds died on the way or were shot by the SS.
The majority of the group, more than 16,000 prisoners, were gathered together near Wittstock in the Below Forest from April 23rd to April 29th. They were forced to camp here in the forest without any lodging or provisions, fenced in with barbed wire and watched over by a chain of guards. The commando officers stayed in a shepherd’s house in the forest across from where they were and the concentration camp commandant Kaindl stayed in Below for a short time with his entourage. After negotiating with the SS, a delegation from the International Red Cross was permitted to hand out food packages and set up an emergency hospital in the neighbouring village, Grabow.
After having been newly designed, the Death March Memorial Site in the Below Forest was re-opened in April 2010 for the 65th anniversary of the liberation. The focus of the site is the historical forest area which covers about 20,000 sqm. Many trees have inscriptions on them which were made by the prisoners. The new open air exhibition, „April 1945: The Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp Prisoners’ Death March” is located on a plateau close to the forest. It uses glass columns with texts, photos, documents, drawings and numerous survivor reports to provide information about the evacuation of the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp, the death march, the Below forest camp and the liberation. In addition, artefacts from the Below Forest are displayed in a temperature-controlled glass display case. There is now an educational project space located in the former museum building, which had been damaged in 2002 by an extreme-right arson attack. The monument which was erected in 1975 was renovated as part of the work on the site’s new design.
Gedenkstätte Todesmarsch im Belower Wald (Death March Memorial Site in the Below Forest)
Branch of the Sachsenhausen Memorial Site and Museum/Brandenburg Memorial Sites Foundation
Belower Damm 1
16909 Wittstock
Tel: +49(0)39925-2478
Fax: +49(0)39925-77835
The institution on google maps
A 24 (Berlin-Hamburg, Pritzwalk exit) and the A 19 (Berlin-Rostock, Wittstock exit); in Wittstock take the L 153 direction Röbel, left after Alt Daber, then follow signs.
Opening Hours:
The open-air exhibition and the historical forest site are accessible during daylight hours.
Educational projects and tours must be booked in advance.
The office and bookstore are open from Mon. to Fri., from 10am-4pm
Closed on December 24th-26th as well as on December 31st and January 1st
Tours / project days for a maximum of 15 people cost 15 Euro, 25 Euro for up to 30 people. Tours in foreign languages will cost an additional 25 Euro.

In 1936, the SS constructed the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp on the outskirts of Oranienburg. Sachsenhausen adopted a special position in the concentration camp system as a model camp in close proximity to Berlin. The SS administration centre for all concentration camps was also located here. Until 1945, more than 200,000 people from all over Europe were imprisoned in Sachsenhausen; tens of thousands died from hunger, sickness, forced labour and abuse, or were victims of systematic extermination.
In the main area of the former concentration camp, there was a Soviet Special Camp called No. 7/No.1 from 1945 to 1950. 60,000 people were imprisoned in these barracks by the Soviet Secret Service; 12,000 of them died of hunger and sickness. In 1961, the Sachsenhausen Memorial Site was opened. It has been part of the Brandenburg Memorials Foundation since 1993. The international Youth Exchange Site »Haus Szczypiorski« is available for educational events taking place over several days.

    • At the moment, there are 12 permanent exhibitions covering diverse aspects of the historical location (Events and Developments, Jewish Prisoners, The Prisoners »Daily Life«, Medical Care and Crimes, Murder and Mass Murder, City and Camp, Oranienburg Concentration Camp, History of the Memorial Site, Prison, Inspectorate of Concentration Camps, Concentration Camp SS, Soviet Special Camp).


  • Special exhibitions



Gedenkstätte und Museum Sachsenhausen (Sachsenhausen Memorial and Museum)
Straße der Nationen 22
16515 Oranienburg
Tel: +49(0)3301-200-0
Visitor Services/Registration: +49(0)3301-200-200
Fax: +49(0)3301-200-201
Archive: +49(0)3301-200-300
Library: +49(0)3301-200-301
E-Mail: besucherdienst(at)
The institution on google maps
Regional train RE 5 from Berlin’s Central Station (Hauptbahnhof) to Oranienburg train station (25 minutes train ride from Berlin’s Central Station)
Rapid Transit System “S-Bahn”-Line S 1 (Wannsee-Oranienburg) to Oranienburg train station (End station; 50 minutes train ride from Berlin’s Friedrichstraße station)
Regional train RB 12 from Berlin-Lichtenberg to Oranienburg station (duration: 30 min.)
Bus line 804 (leaving every hour) going towards Malz to the Memorial Site from the station’s forecourt or follow the signs by foot (20 min.)
Berliner Ring (A 10) to the Birkenwerder exit; drive towards Oranienburg and then follow the signs leading to the Memorial Site
Almost all museums and exhibitions are wheelchair accessible.
Opening Hours:
March 15th to October 14th: daily from 8:30-6pm
October 15th to March 14th: daily from 8:30-4:30pm
On Mondays, the museums, the archive and the library are closed. The open air exhibition “Murder and Mass Murder in the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp”, the memorial site “Station Z” as well as the visitors’ information centre are open.
Archive and Library: Tuesday through Friday from 9:00-3:30pm
Free Entry
There is a fee for educational services.
Group tours/project days for a maximum of 15 people: 15 Euro
Group tours/project days for a maximum of 30 people: 25 Euro
Tours in foreign languages will cost an additional 25 Euro.

Memorial to the Victims of the Euthanasia Program

Brandenburg Görden Prison Memorial
Between 1933 and 1945, the Nazi judicial system ran an inhuman penal regime in Brandenburg Görden prison. It was characterized by near-starvation, unhealthy working conditions and differing treatment based on racist criteria. Up to sixty per cent of the inmates were political prisoners. After start of the war, convicts were sent to Brandenburg Görden from all over Europe. From 1942 onwards, the judiciary allocated a portion of the prisoners to the concentration camps for „extermination through work“. The execution facility set up here in 1940 was used to kill approximately 2,030 people from German Reich territories and many European countries between then and 1945.
In the years after 1949, Brandenburg Görden became one of the largest prisons for political prisoners in East Germany (GDR). A memorial site was established in the premises of the former Nazi execution facility in 1964.
The memorials of Brandenburg an der Havel also offer seminar rooms as well as a specialized library and an archive.
Memorial to the Victims of the Euthanasia Program
From Berlin to Brandenburg/H. main rail station, then tram no. 1, 2 or 6 to Nicolaiplatz
Thur + Fri 13 – 17, Sat + Sun 10 – 17
Vocational study days for trainee or qualified health-care professionals (also possible outside opening hours)
Programs for school groups: Wed + Thur
Brandenburg Prison Memorial
From Berlin to Brandenburg/H. main rail station, then tram no. 1 to Anton-Saefkow-Allee
The Memorial’s rooms are inside the current correctional facility and so they can only be visited by prior arrangement.
Programs for school groups: Wed + Thur
Admission free; guided tours and project days for school groups from Brandenburg are free of charge; prices for others on request.
Brandenburg an der Havel Memorials
Tel: +49 33381 79 35 112 / 113
Fax: +49 33381 79 35 114

The Ravensbrück Concentration Camp, built in 1939 close to the small town of Fürstenberg/Havel, was the largest concentration camp for women on German soil. Between 1939 and 1945, 132,000 women, 20,000 men and 1,000 young women from the ”Youth Protection Camp Uckermark” were registered as prisoners. The prisoners came from over 40 countries; there were many Jews as well as Sinti and Roma among them. Tens of thousands were murdered or died from hunger, illness or medical experimentation. After the Red Army liberated the camp on April 30th, 1945, the land was used by them for military purposes until 1994. The Ravensbrück Memorial Site, opened in 1959, has been a part of the Brandenburg Memorial Foundation since 1993.
The Ravensbrück Memorial Site, which has been expanded to include extensive parts of the historical concentration camp complex, nowadays combines remembrance, research and historical-political educational work. The Ravensbrück International Youth Exchange Site with an affiliated youth hostel was opened in 2002. The educational services office organizes events lasting over a period of several days. In addition, tours and project days are offered. Since 2007, the tour begins and ends in the new Visitor’s Centre.
Since April 2013, the new main exhibition “Das Frauenkonzentrationslager Ravensbrück – Geschichte und Erinnerung” is on display in the former commander’s offices. For the first time, this exhibition provides comprehensive insight into the history of the camp complex Ravensbrück, including the camps for women and men, the “Youth Protection Camp Uckermark”, the “Siemens-Camp” and numerous satellite camps. Exhibitions about the wardens and SS officers in the Ravensbrück Concentration Camp can be seen in one of the former warden’s houses and in a former commander’s living quarters. There is an exhibition in a former cell-block which gives information about the camp prison.
Mahn- und Gedenkstätte Ravensbrück (Ravensbrück Memorial Site)
Stiftung Brandenburgische Gedenkstätten (Brandenburg Memorial Site Foundation)
Straße der Nationen
16798 Fürstenberg/Havel
Tel.: +49(0)33 093-60 38-5
Fax: +49(0)33 093-60 38-6
E-Mail: paedagogik(at)
The institution on google maps
Regional train: RE 5 from Berlin Central Station to Fürstenberg/Havel train station
and then around a 3 km walk to the Ravensbrück Memorial Site
Opening Hours:
Tues-Sun 9-5pm (last entry: 4:30pm)
The Memorial Site is accessible from 8-6pm, and in the summer (May 1st-September 30th) until 8pm.
Free entry
You can register for tours, project days and seminars. Tours/project days for a maximum of 15 people cost 15 Euro, up to 30 people: 25 Euro. Tours in foreign languages will cost an additional 25 Euro.

The museum Otto Weidt’s Workshop for the Blind tells the story of Otto Weidt’s Workshop for the Blind. During the Second World War the brush manufacturer Otto Weidt employed mainly blind and deaf Jews who produced brooms and brushes here. Various life stories testify to Otto Weidt’s efforts to protect his Jewish employees from persecution and deportation. As danger grew, he searched for hiding-places for some of them. One of these hideouts was in the rooms that are now part of the museum.

Following the museum tour, visitors can also take a guided tour of the locality, Spandauer Vorstadt (Spandau Suburb), on the track of places directly connected with the history of the Workshop for the Blind.

The content and organization of the museum Otto Weidt’s Workshop for the Blind is maintained by the German Resistance Memorial Center Foundation.


Museum Blindenwerkstatt Otto Weidt (The Otto Weidt’s Workshop for the Blind Museum)
part of the Stiftung Gedenkstätte Deutscher Widerstand (German Resistance Memorial Center Foundation)
Rosenthaler Straße 39
First courtyard, entrance left
10178 Berlin

Tel.: +49(0)30-28 59 94-07
Fax: +49(0)30-25 76 26-14
E-Mail: info(at)

The institution on google maps

S-Bahnhof Hackescher Markt
U-Bahnhof Weinmeisterstraße

Opening Hours:
Mon-Sun 10am-8pm
Guided tours are available for groups after 9am
Closed on December 24th

Public Tours: Sundays at 3pm (no prior registration required)
Group tours by arrangement from 9 am. Admission free. The museum offers tours free of charge. Please book in advance. Tours in English, Italian, Turkish and French by arrangement.

Free Entry

The New Synagogue had its formal opening as a part of the Jewish New Year’s celebration in 1866. The New Synagogue was the largest Jewish place of worship in Germany, with 3,200 seats. The famous Berlin architect Eduard Knoblauch’s (1801-1865) design was inspired by the Moorish style of the Alhambra in Granada. The gilded ribbing design of the over 50 meter high dome was famous in and outside of Germany. The building was desecrated in the 1938 November Pogrom, however it was protected from any extensive damages. It was badly damaged due to bombings during World War II and the synagogue’s main room was blown up in 1958.

In May 1995 the synagogue was reopened as the Centrum Judaicum (Jewish Centre) serving as a source of information for Jewish life and featuring the permanent exhibition “Open Ye the Gates” (Tuet auf die Pforten). Continuing in the tradition of the New Synagogue, the Centrum Judaicum seeks to communicate the history of the building and its occupants and its connection to the present and the future. Juxtaposed with temporary exhibits the narrative of Jewish Berlin is made all the more tangible.

Tours can be booked in advance and individual visitors can explore the New Synagogue’s permanent exhibition with an audio guide. The audio system provides additional background information. Audio guides are available in German, English, Italian, French, Spanish, Hebrew, Arabic, Polish, Turkish and Russian.

Stiftung Neue Synagoge Berlin – Centrum Judaicum (New Synagogue Berlin Foundation)
Oranienburger Straße 28/30
10117 Berlin

Tel.: +49(0)30-88 02 83-00
Fax: +49(0)30-88 02 84-83
E-Mail: office(at)

The institution on google maps

S-Bahn: Oranienburger Straße, Hackescher Markt
U-Bahn: Oranienburger Tor (U6), Weinmeisterstraße (U8)
Tram: Oranienburger Straße (M1, M5)

Opening Hours:
See website

5 Euro, reduced 4 Euro

Documentation Centre Topography of Terror, April 2010, Photo: Stefan Josef Müller/ Topography of Terror Foundation

Between 1933-1945, the central institutions of Nazi persecution and terror were located at the side of today’s “Topography of Terror” on Wilhelmstraße and the former Prinz-Albrecht-Straße (today: Niederkirchnerstraße); including the Gestapo, the SS and from 1939 on the Reich Security Main Office.

Since 1987, the exhibition “Topography of Terror” has provided information about this historical site and illustrates the European dimensions of the Nazi reign of terror. The new Topography of Terror Documentation Center was opened in May 2010. The new exhibition and documentation building includes the completely revised permanent exhibition which can be seen in German and English, a reference library (about 29,000 volumes) and a seminar centre. The entire site, along with the actual physical traces of the past, have been made accessible.

The Topography of Terror Foundation focuses on the presentation of exhibitions, the holding of public talks and discussion events as well as conferences and seminars. The foundation manages numerous coordination and advisory activities within the field of memorial site work and the culture of remembrance, on both a national and international level. Since 2006, the foundation has been in charge of the Nazi Forced Labour Documentaion Centre, which is located in Berlin-Schöneweide.

  • Permanent exhibitions
  • ”Topography of Terror. Gestapo, SS and Reich Security Main Office on Wilhelm- and Prinz-Albrecht-Straße”
  • ”Berlin 1933-1945. Between Propaganda and Terror” (in spring-autumn) and
  • ”Site Tour Topography of Terror. History of the Site”
  • Special exhibitions


Topographie des Terrors. Gestapo, SS und Reichssicherheitshauptamt in der Wilhelm- und Prinz-Albrecht-Straße (Topography of Terror. Gestapo, SS and the Reich Security Main Office in the Wilhelm- and Prinz-Albrecht-Straße)
Niederkirchnerstraße 8
10963 Berlin-Kreuzberg

Tel.: +49(0)30-25 45 09-50
Fax: +49(0)30-25 45 09-55

E-Mail: ausstellung(at)

The institution on google maps

S-Bahn Potsdamer Platz, Anhalter Bahnhof
U-Bahn Potsdamer Platz, Kochstraße
Bus M 29 to Anhalter Bahnhof
Bus M 41 to Abgeordnetenhaus

Opening Hours:
daily 10am-8pm

Tours by appointment
Kulturprojekte Berlin
Tel.: +49-30-254509-70

Free entry